A machinist has to set up and control the functioning of machine tools to make instruments and precision parts. Additionally, a machinist modifies and fabricates parts to repair or construct machine tools. They have to maintain industrial machines and apply their mechanics, metal properties, shop mathematics, machining procedures, and layout knowledge. The precision instrument makers who modify, repair or fabricate mechanical instruments also come under the same profile. There are various categories of machinist jobs like CNC, sewing and many other machinists that go into more specialized roles of a machinist. Here is a general job description of a machinist to help you get a clear picture of the qualifications, tasks and other noteworthy points that are to be known in machinist jobs.
Sometimes the recruiters themselves define the qualifications for the role of a machinist. With that said, a person can pursue a machinist course from a reputed institute to become a machinist.
You should have knowledge of mathematics, computer and electronics, production and processing, engineering and technology, for a machinist job.
When it comes to machinist jobs, you ought to have the following skills – Equipment maintenance, repairing, quality control analysis, troubleshooting, and operation monitoring.
Carrying and moving objects, solving problems, making decisions, communicating with peers and supervisors, monitoring surrounding and processes are some of the important activities of a machinist.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Following are the important tasks that a machinist has to perform:
- Examine, test and measure completed units so as to look for detects and make sure that conformance is carried out on the basis of specifications. One has to carry this out with the help of precision instruments, for instance, micro-meters.
- Set up, operate and adjust every primary machine tool and many advanced or specialized variation tools to carry out precision machining operations.
- Align or secure cutting tools, holding fixtures, accessories, materials onto machines, attachments, etc.
- Keep a close watch on feed and machine speed at the time of machining process.
- Study blueprints, sample parts, engineering information and drawings so as to look for methods and operation sequence required to make products and also determine tolerances and product dimensions.
- Choose the relevant machines, materials, and tools to be utilized in the machine work preparation.
- Measure, lay and mark the stock metal so as to show the cuts placement.
- Listen to and observe the operating equipment and machines so as to diagnose any malfunctions in the machinery. Also, check if there is some need for repairs or adjustments.
- Examine work-pieces to make sure that they are sufficiently cooled or lubricated.
- Give advice to the clients that talk about the materials that are used in the final products.
- Assemble or fit parts to produce or repair machine tools.
- Design tooling and fixtures to meet the specific engineering needs.
- Operate cutting and welding equipment.
- Make working sketches for illustrations of how the product would look like.
If you have been searching for “machinist jobs near me”, it is time to up-skill and then apply job online. After you do this, then you can apply for a machinist job profile you find yourself suitable for. Using a job portal will surely benefit you because you have so many job options to choose from.