The term cognitive assessment may sound odd to unfamiliar ears, but the meaning of this term is simple. In the simplest possible words, cognitive assessment means assessment of intelligence. And this is extremely important for the recruitment processes of companies.
So, basically under this kind of assessment, an individuals’ ability to learn quickly, comprehend ideas, fix problems, reason etc. is done. Don’t, however, confuse cognitive assessment with behavioural assessment. Both the terms have different meanings and are used in different circumstances. Nevertheless, both these assessment types are critically important for any kind of recruitment process.
Although there are many different ways in which the use of cognitive assessment can improve the standard of recruitment, we have listed out here some of the most important ones. Check out-
- You can completely avoid stupid hiring decisions by using this assessment. Companies fire employees from time to time. And some studies suggest that these employees fired by companies are often the ones that the companies hire without proper screening. Hence, these turnovers happen primarily due to bad hiring decisions made by companies. And they are not just bad for the reputation of the company but also for the company’s financial stability. After all, new recruitments consume a lot of the company’s funds. The use of cognitive assessment while recruiting employees can minimise such risks.
- No matter what the job position is, if a new candidate takes it up, he needs some time to adapt to the new environment. People with cognitive issues might take longer to make such adaptations. And that is why when you choose your employees based on cognitive assessment, they adapt to the new work environment, their new roles and the people around them, quite fast and efficiently. This adds to their productivity, which in turn boosts the performance of the company.
- Cognitive assessments are no farce; they are real and useful. Most cognitive assessment instruments come to being after rigorous testing, which makes them highly reliable. Interestingly, cognitive assessment instruments are standardised in nature and are fit for many different industries and positions.
- There are certain job positions that are not all pen and paper. They require one to be extremely intelligent. Without the kind of brainwork required to perform such roles, candidates won’t be able to do justice to them. In such a scenario, a cognitive assessment can prove not just handy but also extremely useful.
- Another amazing benefit of using cognitive assessment is that it’s extremely low cost. All you need is to procure an assessment instrument from a reputed source and get going. Besides, execution of this assessment is also a breeze. You don’t need to undertake this assessment on individuals separately. This can also be undertaken in groups.
Employees with great cognitive abilities are not just an asset to their department but also for the entire company. Besides, they will make things not just easer for their team members but also for the superiors they work under. So, now that you know why it is so important to test the cognitive abilities of a potential employee, there is no reason why you wouldn’t want to include a cognitive assessment test in your recruitment process.